Are you the Undergraduate of the Year for Sustainable Thinking?
We’re searching UK universities to find the outstanding Undergraduate of the Year for Sustainable Thinking. We are looking for somebody who is zealous about change, full of ideas and a natural at influencing and leading others.
Announcing the 2021 finalists
Work experience with L’Oréal! One lucky winner will choose between a 12-month placement and a 10-week summer internship. This will include the opportunity to work in the green team within L’Oréal UK & Ireland, contributing to current initiatives and pitching your winning idea to the business.
We are delighted to introduce the 2021 finalists for this award.
Amy Farrer | Lancaster University | Advertising and Marketing Management
David Winters | University of Nottingham | Product Design and Manufacture
Euan Pringle | University of Bath | International Development with Economics
Evelyn Morgan | Heriot-Watt University | Chemical Engineering
Jessica Slater | University of Bristol | Geography
Louie Roberts | University of Cambridge | Geography
Louise Parkinson | University of Birmingham | Geology and Physical Geography
Valerie Sophia Doeringer | Lancaster University | Marketing Management
Vanessa Lee | University of Edinburgh | Law
Vicky Regan | University of Bath | Chemical Engineering
To enter you must:
- be an undergraduate student at a university in the UK
- be in your first or second year of a three-year course or your first, second or third year of a four-year course at university
- be studying a degree in or related to economics, philosophy, languages, maths, history, English, geography, politics, business studies, marketing or engineering
- have the right to work in the UK after graduation
What makes an award winner?
We are looking for future thinkers in sustainability and we want to hear your ideas for how we can effect change – in communities, sustainability measures and diversity in our day-to-day lives.
Our winner will:
- be courageous, adventurous and willing to take risks
- be creative and prepared to shake things up
- have the potential to lead confidently and by example
- be able to influence, motivate and inspire others
- be open-minded and flexible
- have strong critical-thinking and decision-making abilities
- be an effective communicator who can build strong relationships
- be able to come up with innovative ideas that you can turn into reality
How do I win?
Submit by 01.02.21
L’Oréal and the Undergraduate of the Year Award for Sustainable Thinking
L’Oréal UK and Ireland, as a subsidiary of the world’s largest beauty company, has a great amount of opportunity to influence, whether that’s within our communities, education on sustainability measures for our consumers or thinking about implementing diversity into our day-to-day lives. We are excited to partner the Undergraduate of the Year Award for Sustainable Thinking and we hope to meet lots of ambitious students who can help us lead the way.
Sustainability at L’Oréal is a journey. We have set ourselves new, ambitious targets by 2030 – and our ‘L’Oréal For the Future’ sustainability programme will help us radically transform and evolve over the next decade. Our commitments include fighting climate change, managing water sustainably, respecting biodiversity and preserving natural resources. We hope to be a catalyst of change in the beauty sector and beyond, and to inspire our customers and all people to take action with us.
We are by no means starting from scratch though:
- Since 2005, the group has reduced the CO2 emissions of its plants and distribution centres by 78%
- In 2013, we announced our ‘Sharing Beauty With All’ global sustainability programme, with goals set for 2020
- In 2019, L’Oréal was recognised by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies
- In 2020, we committed to improving the environmental or social profile of 100% of our products by the end of the year
- L’Oréal is the only company in the world to have achieved an ‘A’ score in all three CDP rankings – climate protection, water management and forest preservation – for four years in a row
If you’re ambitious, creative and passionate about effecting change as much as we are, we want to hear from you!
Find out more about careers at L’Oréal