Are you the Built Environment Undergraduate of the Year?
We’re searching UK universities to find the outstanding Built Environment Undergraduate of the Year. We are looking for a creative thinker and team player who has a strong environmental focus.
You could win a 12-week enhanced placement (6 weeks in a specific business area relevant to your degree discipline (such as building structures, water, ecology etc) and 6 weeks with a member of the leadership team gaining experience on the strategic and operational side).
Ali Aljadri | University College London | Construction
Alex Callens | Durham University | General Engineering
Ionut Ciuta | University of Sheffield | Civil and Structural Engineering
Sulakna Herath | The University of Edinburgh | Civil Engineering
Miyu Kudo | University of Bristol | Engineering Design
Ria Mistry | Liverpool John Moores University | Civil Engineering
Joe Parkins | University of Surrey | Civil Engineering
Sonali Patel | University of Warwick | Civil Engineering
Kathryn Vest | Lancaster University | Environmental Science
Hoi Yui Lai | University of Reading | Construction Management and Surveying
To enter you need to:
- be an undergraduate student with an interest in management as a future career
- be in your first or second year of a three-year course or your first, second or third year of a four-year course at university
- have the right to work in the UK after graduation.
What makes an award winner?
Our Built Environment Undergraduate of the Year will be:
- adaptable and eager to solve problems
- inquisitive and prepared to use your initiative
- an innovative and creative thinker
- mindful of the environment
- a strong communicator – both in person and virtually
- able to work in teams and build strong relationships
- driven to pursue your own career development.
Crucially, our winner will be able to articulate how they share AECOM’s values:
- Safeguard – we operate ethically and with integrity, while prioritising safety and security in all that we do
- Innovate – we think without limits and embrace new ideas, shaping digital solutions to help clients address current and future challenges
- Collaborate – we connect unrivalled expertise from around the world to anticipate and solve our clients’ most pressing challenges
- Deliver – we grow our business through relentless client focus, operational excellence and exceptional project execution
- Sustain – we take action to make a positive impact on the planet, enrich the communities we touch and build legacies for future generations
- Thrive – we build diverse teams, create an inclusive workplace and provide opportunities where each one of our people can reach their potential.
How do I win?
Submit by 31.01.22
AECOM and the Built Environment Undergraduate of the Year Award
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from planning, design and engineering to programme and construction management.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, protecting and restoring ecosystems, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, infrastructure powers possibilities to help people and communities thrive.
Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivalled technical expertise and innovation, a culture of equality, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities.
On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges.
Why are we partnering this award?
At AECOM we are serious about equality, diversity and inclusion. By partnering with this award, we want to connect with a diverse range of students across the UK.
We are always looking to bring new young talent into our business. One of the things that impresses our senior leaders the most is young talent putting themselves forward for self-development opportunities, and really taking every opportunity they can to develop their skills. We want to use their excitement for new ideas, innovation and new ways of thinking to drive change through our business.
At AECOM we have a number of ‘shadow boards’ where groups of junior engineers and graduates share their ideas for business change with senior management, and a number of our leaders also engage in reverse mentoring, so our young talent really are encouraged to share their ideas and views with senior leadership.
Our placement opportunities are a great chance for students to learn more about the industry, develop their technical knowledge, and to ‘try out’ AECOM to see whether our culture and working environment is a good fit. Those who perform well are welcomed back the following summer or offered permanent roles on our graduate development programme, and given the opportunity to make a positive impact on the planet, enrich the communities we touch, and help build legacies for future generations.
We are really excited to receive all applications and read about everyone’s passions and, while there can only be one winner, we will be looking to consider all shortlisted students for standard placement opportunities (summer or industrial) in 2022.
You can find out more about AECOM, our vision to deliver a better world and how you can be a part of this here.