We’re searching UK universities to find the outstanding mathematics, economics and finance undergraduate of the year. You must be ambitious, talented and driven to achieve goals with a ‘can do’ attitude.
A summer internship and a trip to Singapore! One lucky winner will spend their summer interning at Gazprom Marketing & Trading’s global headquarters in London. Gazprom will also whisk you off for a week’s placement at its Singapore office.
What makes an award winner?
Although strong academics and relevant work experience help, being able to demonstrate relevant behaviours and skills is just as important. As well as a passion for working in the energy industry, you will also be able to support and demonstrate Gazprom’s values and behaviours, while striving for excellence and results in everything you do.
We're looking for:
- ambitious, talented individuals whose skills, imagination and ‘can do’ attitude match our own ambitions
- skills such as problem solving, independence, innovation, critical thinking and the ability to thrive under pressure
- a winner who can demonstrate drive, ambition, tenacity and resilience alongside a collaborative working style
- somebody who is committed to self-development and self-management, and can learn from their mistakes
- somebody who wants to develop their emerging leadership skills.
The closing date for entries is 30 January 2017.
To enter you must:
- be an undergraduate student in your penultimate year at university or your second year of a four-year/sandwich course
- be studying mathematics, physics or applied hard sciences, finance and economics related degrees
- be on track to achieve a 2.1 or above
- have a right to work in the UK after graduation.
How do I win?
30 January 2017
Gazprom Marketing & Trading and the Mathematics, Economics and Finance Undergraduate of the Year
Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) aims to attract the brightest and the best graduates who can make a positive impact on the company and contribute to its growing success.
Headquartered in London, we're a truly global organisation with offices in the USA, Asia and across Europe, with over 1000 employees from more than 40 countries, it’s our diversity that helps us succeed. We are driven to become the world’s number one energy trading firm, and to achieve this we need to continue to attract the very best talent. Over the last 5 years, we have hired over 20 exceptional interns through Undergraduate of the year. If you come to intern at GM&T, you are given the opportunity to make a real difference. By getting involved in projects from day one, you contribute to our success, while gaining valuable skills and experience. Sponsoring the Undergraduate of the Year award for Maths, Economics and Finance helps us identify the very brightest minds, and in return offer then a challenging yet truly rewarding experience as a GM&T intern.
We’re proud to say that our people genuinely enjoy working for us, and we’re committed to helping them develop their careers. Everyone within GM&T is given real freedom to think for themselves and showcase their talents. Our purpose is to give people the energy to succeed and we look forward to playing a role in helping you realise your potential.
Find out more about us and our graduate opportunities at: http://www.gazprom-mt.com/CareersWithUs/Pages/default2.aspx
Fraser Holmes-Mackay, Mathematics, University of East Anglia
Fraser Holmes-Mackay is studying for a masters in mathematics at the University of East Anglia. He is the former head boy of Manningtree High School and an active Dean of Students representative. While working as a language buddy and attending Mandarin Chinese evening classes, he developed an interest in exploring new cultures and is set to study his third year at the University of California, Berkeley.
Before you start your application
Before you begin please make sure you have read the criteria carefully on undergraduateoftheyear.com, checking the ‘Entry criteria’ and ‘How do I win?’ tabs for criteria details and information on the process.
To enable you to take the tests you will need to make sure that:
- Flash Player needs to be up to date, and the tests can be accessed on the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer – Version 6.0 and higher (Windows PC Only)
- Firefox – Version 2.0 and higher (Windows PC or Mac)
- Safari – Version 4.0 and higher (Mac only)
- Google Chrome – Version 4.0 and higher (Windows PC or Mac)
- iPads, other tablets and smart phones are currently not supported.
Hints and tips
Give yourself enough time:
- As part of the process you will be asked to answer some questions set by the awards partner. Take your time with these as they will be used as part of the longlisting process. Compose them in Microsoft Word (or a similar programme), spell check and word count your answer before submitting into your application form.
- You don’t have to complete everything in one go. Just remember to save everything as you go!
- The tests themselves (up to 4 depending on the Awards category) should take no more than two hours to complete.
- ALL stages must be submitted by 30 January 2017.
- If you are not sure about anything then ask! You can contact us via email