We're searching UK universities to find the outstanding future business leader. You must be someone who enjoys leading, motivating and inspiring others.
To enter you must:
- have the right to work in the UK after graduation.
- be expecting at least a 2.1.
- have at minimum of 300 UCAS points or equivalent.
- be in your penultimate or final year of an undergraduate degree at a UK university.
- show evidence of leadership ability, positions of responsibility, of exceeding expectations, seizing opportunities and driving change.
What makes an award winner?
The winner will be someone who can display a high level of business acumen, clearly understand basic business principles and who has a perspective of the challenges going on within the business world and the FMCG sector in particular.
You will be someone who enjoys leading, motivating and inspiring others. You should value the different viewpoints others can bring and be able to flex your own style to build effective relationships easily.
You should have a good level of self-awareness, able to articulate your strengths while also being comfortable talking about areas for development. You should have a clear view as to the type of leader they want to be and why.
You should be creative in your thinking, coming up with ideas, identifying opportunities and turning them into reality. You shouldn’t be afraid to take risks and have the drive to plot your way through problems and overcome challenges to deliver exceptional results.
Closing date for entries is 28 January 2016.
Awards ceremony takes place on 22 April 2016 at Canary Wharf, London.
How do I win?
It’s not easy to win the Undergraduate of the Year Award and competition will be fierce. The process is demanding and only the truly outstanding and committed will make it to the last ten. There are three stages that you’ll have to get through.
Register online to submit your personal data and answer three special questions posed by Mars.
Once you have completed Stage 1 and submitted your application, you will be invited to complete three online tests designed exclusively by our partners CEB SHL, the world’s leading assessment provider. The online assessment will take you around two hours to complete (although you don’t have to complete it in one visit) and will include a situational judgement test, OPQ test and an inductive reasoning test. We will then invite up successful candidates to the next stage after the closing date.
Stage 1 and Stage 2 must be complete by midday on 28 January 2016
The best-matched students (according to the results of the online tests) make it through to stage 3. This will involve two rounds of assessments led by Mars, the second of which will be face to face. Mars will then decide on a shortlist of ten from the undergraduates who pass the first and second stages.
The final shortlist of ten is invited to the Undergraduate of the Year Awards in Canary Wharf, London on 22 April 2016 where the winner will be announced.
Mars and the Future Business Leader of the Year
Mars has an excellent track record in developing great leaders who have gone on to lead businesses both within Mars and other large UK and global corporations. We have a strong development culture and view our graduate talent as playing a vital role in securing the future success of the business.
Consequently we have a lot of experience in identifying and nurturing great future talent and see the Future Business Leader award as an excellent way of identifying and supporting students by providing an insight into our business, access to our senior leaders and opportunities to gain experience. We see the award as a great initiative, set up to recognise and inspire future leaders and we love being able to play a part in helping individuals begin to realise their leadership potential.
Find out more about us and our graduate opportunities at: www.mars.com/uk/en/careers/graduates.aspx
Hear from our 2015 winner, Lynne Howie, in her own words: tjbloggers.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/thinking-of-applying-to-2016.html
Lynne Howie, Economics and Finance, University of Strathclyde
Lynne Howie is a fourth year Economics and Finance student at the University of Strathclyde. Awarded a Saltire Scholarship in 2014, Lynne worked in Texas with Rolls Royce and American Airlines as their Customer Business Intern. In addition she has worked for Gleneagles hotel over two summers and most recently during the famous Ryder Cup event in 2014. With an entrepreneurial family background, Lynne has her sights set high. She aspires to one day start up a ‘business with heart’, leading a team of associates whilst inspiring the generations to follow. A fitness fanatic and health enthusiast, she leads a very active lifestyle too.
Before you start your application
Before you begin please make sure you have read the criteria carefully on undergraduateoftheyear.com, checking the ‘Entry criteria’ and ‘How do I win?’ tabs for criteria details and information on the process.
To enable you to take the tests you will need to make sure that:
- flash player needs to be up to date, and the tests can be accessed on the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer – Version 6.0 and higher (Windows PC Only)
- Firefox – Version 2.0 and higher (Windows PC or Mac)
- Safari – Version 4.0 and higher (Mac only)
- Google Chrome – Version 4.0 and higher (Windows PC or Mac)
- iPads, other tablets and smart phones are currently not supported.
Hints and tips
Give yourself enough time:
- As part of the process you will be asked to answer some questions set by the awards partner. Take your time with these as they will be used as part of the longlisting process. Compose them in Microsoft word (or a similar programme), spell check and word count your answer before submitting into your application form.
- You don’t have to complete everything in one go. Just remember to save everything as you go!
- The tests themselves (up to 4 depending on the Awards category) should take no more than two hours to complete.
- ALL stages must be submitted by MIDNIGHT on Thursday 28 January 2016.
- If you are not sure about anything then ask! You can contact us via email on Undergraduateoftheyear@groupgti.com